my favorite dinner



















Don't worry, I won't get in the habit of posting every single meal that I cook. That would get extremely boring. But I just had to post this one. It is my absolute favorite! 
Pulled BBQ Pork served over Texas Toast and topped with Momma Coffin's Coleslaw. And on the side? Mac-n-cheese, of course. But not just any mac-n-cheese, a recipe from Pioneer Woman named Fancy Macaroni. The fancy-ness comes from the goat cheese, caramelized onions and bacon. A combination that equals perfection, in my opinion. Pete even likes it, and believe me, as soon as he heard "goat cheese" his nose crinkled. But I told him he would like it and I was right. I like being right. I usually am.
I got these recipes from different sources. The coleslaw comes from Momma Coffin. It's the ONLY coleslaw that I like. There are never any exact measurements when I get a recipe from Momma Coffin, she just "throws things together" as she puts it. So here are the ingredients with an approximate measurement.


Momma Coffin's Coleslaw
1 bag of shredded coleslaw mix (but we prefer it chopped so I throw it in my chopper first)
2 tblsp mayo
1 tblsp sour cream
a few dashes of hot sauce
1/2 lemon juice
1/4 cup of chopped onion
Salt and Pepper




The pulled pork recipe I got from allrecipes.com
I like using that site for recipes cause they are rated and you can read feedback from people that have actually made it and they give you tips on any modifications needed.


Pulled BBQ Pork
Place boneless pork ribs in your slow cooker and pour in root beer til the pork is covered. I use Barq's cause it has bite. I cook it for about 5-6 hours (2 hours on high and 3 hours on low). Then drain the root beer, shred the pork, discard any little bit of fat. Put pork back in slow cooker with your favorite BBQ sauce. I use Stub's Spicy BBQ Sauce cause it too, has bite! Cook until heated through. Around 1 hour on low. Serve over texas toast.






Look at that YUMMY-NESS!


And last but not least, BELIEVE ME. The Mac-n-cheese. The only thing I changed was the kind of cheese and the amount... I put a little more, cause you can never have too much. I used the 4 ounces of goat cheese and 2 cups of Sargentos Italian 6-cheese blend. Which includes, fontina, smoked provolone, guyere, asiago, mozzarella, and one other that I forget. Sorry.
Without further ado, I give you... The Mac-n-cheese.

Fancy Macaroni

 Click Here





  • 4 cups Macaroni
  • 8 Tablespoons Butter (Salted Butter)
  • 2 whole Medium Onions, Cut In Half And Sliced Thin
  • 10 slices Regular Bacon
  • 1 Tablespoon Bacon Grease (reserved From Bacon Slices)
  • ¼ cups All-purpose Flour
  • 2 cups Whole Or 2% Milk
  • ½ cups Half-and-Half
  • 2 whole Egg Yolks, Beaten
  • Salt And Pepper, to taste
  • ½ cups Grated Gruyere Cheese
  • ½ cups Grated Fontina Cheese
  • ½ cups Grated Parmigiano Reggiano Cheese
  • 4 ounces, weight Chevre (soft Goat Cheese)
Preparation Instructions
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Cook macaroni for half the time of the package instructions. Drain and set aside.
Fry bacon until slightly, but not overly, crispy. Drain on a paper towel. Reserve grease.
Melt 4 tablespoons butter in a skillet and then saute onions over medium-low heat for 10 to 12 minutes, or until golden brown and soft. Set aside.
In a pot, melt 4 tablespoons butter (and add 1 tablespoon of the reserved bacon grease for good measure!). Sprinkle in flour and whisk to combine. Cook, stirring constantly, over medium heat for 1 minute. Pour in milk and half & half, then cook for 3 to 5 minutes or until thick. Reduce heat to low. Add salt & pepper to taste. (Do not undersalt!)
Beat egg yolks and drizzle 1/4 cup hot mixture into the yolks, stirring constantly. Stir to combine. Pour egg mixture into sauce and cook for another minute.
Add cheeses and stir until melted. Add onions and bacon and stir. Taste for seasonings and add more salt if needed. Add cooked macaroni and stir to coat.
Pour into a baking dish and bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until sizzling and hot. Serve with red meat or a green salad.




1 comment: