Fiesta in my mouth!

Okay... so this is how it came about. Pioneer Woman makes her own salsa and my friend Julia sent me the link to the recipe. I thought "Sure, it looks good but who wants to go through all the trouble to make salsa?" The next day, Julia brought some in, I tried it and that was it! I couldn't wait to make my own, so I went out and purchased a blender (a mighty nice one, I might add... half price at Tuesday Morning), bought the ingredients and made my own batch last night. I was surprised that it was so easy and effortless, almost. Totally worth it.
















So, here is the recipe taken straight from the Pioneer Woman. The only thing I changed was that I added another jalapeno, cause Sommer likes it hot!


Ingredients
  • 1 can (28 Ounce) Whole Tomatoes With Juice
  • 2 cans (10 Ounce) Rotel (diced Tomatoes And Green Chilies)
  • ¼ cups Chopped Onion
  • 1 clove Garlic, Minced
  • 1 whole Jalapeno, Quartered And Sliced Thin
  • ¼ teaspoons Sugar
  • ¼ teaspoons Salt
  • ¼ teaspoons Ground Cumin
  • ½ cups Cilantro (more To Taste!)
  • ½ whole Lime Juice
Preparation Instructions
Combine whole tomatoes, Rotel, onion, jalapeno, garlic, sugar,
salt, cumin, lime juice, and cilantro in a blender or food processor.
Pulse until you get the salsa to the consistency you’d like—I do about
10 to 15 pulses. Test seasonings with a tortilla chip and adjust as needed.
Refrigerate salsa for at least an hour. Serve with tortilla chips or cheese nachos.
Then it donned on me... salsa is fat-free! Perfect for my latest 
attempt to drop 10lbs, which is very hard for me (see previous recipes).
But if I dip a Tostito in it, the fat-free goes out the window. 
So, I thought "Why not make my own tortilla chips?" 
The outcome? Easy, yummy, cheap and diet-approved!
You wanna try it? All I did was buy corn tortillas, they come like 
20-28 to a pack for around $1.50 and that makes a whole crap load 
of tortilla chips. I cut them into triangles, put them on a baking 
sheet and sprinkled them with sea salt, cracked pepper and garlic 
salt. But if you wanted to make it spicier, you could use cayenne 
or chili powder. I decided to keep it tame for my first time around. 
I baked them at 350 and just watched them until they were as 
crispy as I wanted them. I think it was around 20 minutes? I kept
them kind of chewy and crisp around the edges, but I think next 
time I am gonna make them all crispy. 
And there will be a next time. Trust me.

No comments:

Post a Comment